Christmas Baking: Sugar Cookies

Every year I look forward to my grandma's signature sugar cookies when we travel home for the holidays. But, since we are staying home this year, I thought I would try my hand at the recipe so we can have them here on Christmas day. So, last week Harper & I got busy in the kitchen making dozens of cookies & a mess of mass proportions. And of course we packaged up a little box to send to grams! ;)
 The recipe itself is so easy, it just takes a few minutes to throw together. The rolling, cutting, baking & decorating could really take all day though. But 'tis the season to be baking!


Grandma's Sugar Cookies
 Cream together: 1 Cup Sugar, 2 Sticks Softened Butter.
Add: 2 Eggs, 4 Tablespoons Cream (Half & Half), a smidgeon of Vanilla.
Mix Together.
Then Add: 3 Cups Flour, 2 Tsp Baking Powder, 1 Tsp Baking Soda.
Mix well (I used my hands here).
Refrigerate dough at least two hours. 
Roll, cut & bake at 350 degrees for about 6-7 min.

This recipe makes approximately five thousand cookies.  
Kidding. But seriously it  makes a ton, depending on the size of your cookie cutters & how much of the scraps you roll back up to reuse.
My only additional tip here would be to add some additional flour to the cold dough before you roll it, as well as a ton of flour to the countertop, rolling pin, cookie cutters & your hands. Otherwise it will become a sticky mess & you will want to shove the whole wad of dough down the garbage disposal. Trust me, I was almost there.

For the frosting, I used a simple powdered sugar, milk, butter & vanilla recipe. But I totally didn't measure any of it, I just combined ingredients until I got the consistency & flavor that I liked. Then we frosted away!! 
Harper even did some of her own! ;)


Hope you love the recipe!! Happy holiday baking, friends!! XO

0 comments:

Post a Comment