Memorial Weekend Recap

 Hope you all had a fantastic weekend! Over the last few days, I have read so many personal stories from friends about loved ones they have lost while serving. It breaks my heart into a million pieces just thinking about it. I can't help but quote the perfect lyrics by Zac Brown Band in honor of Memorial Day.
I thank God for my life, and for the stars and stripes. May freedom forever fly. Let it ring.
Salute the ones who died, The ones that give their lives so we don't have to sacrifice all the things we love.

 We spent most of our weekend at the pool & nights in the hammock. Harper is becoming a total outdoor baby, she stands by the door saying "side. side." Which is totally fine with me! Although I think we are going to run our local Target straight outta bubbles.

On Memorial Day, I made these fruit & donut skewers for breakfast. I quickly became obsessed with them & totally want to make it more often! This would be so fun to make for brunch if you have guests or with other colored fruit with toast or mini muffins for different holidays.



I also made some festive sangria for our cookout in the evening, which was AMAZING. I had heard of people using Fresca in their sangria & I wanted something super light, almost more like a spritzer. So I used one bottle of white wine (pinot grigio), two cups-ish of Fresca (let's be honest, that is a total estimate, I just poured some in) & three cans of sparkling water.


The light, bubbly mixture combined with all the flavors of the fruit turned out to be fantastic. I used blueberries, blackberries, strawberries & pineapples (cut into star shapes of course).

I'm not much of a wine or liquor drinker at all, so this was the perfect little cocktail for me. I have a feeling it would be amazing even without the wine, the pineapple & strawberry gave it the best flavor!!

 Harpie Doodle Do just wanted to drink out of festive straws like mama! Love her so much.
 



Memorial Day will forever hold a special place in our heart for another reason totally unrelated to the real meaning of the holiday. If you've been reading my blog since the beginning, you may already know where I'm going with this.
We moved to Georgia in April of 2011, knowing absolutely nobody in the area. We had big plans to move downtown, explore the area for a year or so & make lots of new friends. In the mean time, it was just the two of us. Just the two of us trying to hang out at the pool that Memorial Day weekend, when the unthinkable happened. We ran out of beer. 
We hit the nearest grocery store only to find out that Georgia does not sell alcohol on Sundays. 
SAY WHAT?
You're telling me that there is no work tomorrow, it's beautiful outside & we can't even buy beer? Have no fear, we found a solution. 

Patio drinking at our nearest bar, live music & all! :)
A couple hours, a few beers & a possible jager bomb later, we made a baby.

 
Well played, Sunday Funday. Well played. 

Let me note that this was the BEST unplanned surprise of. all. time. You can read more in this post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment